Hail internet, or at least that part of it obsessed by toy soldiers.
At The Joy Of Six I got some 6mm Persians, strange from a 6mm show, cracking on with the most garish paint jobs since I did some Zebra striped rough riders in the 80's.
Commander on his chariot has gone onto a round base, heresy we are not doing it in DBA basing, so was pretty easy.
Light and medium cavalry has gone onto 80mm x 30mm bases spread out so again no issue at all.
Sparabara however I am in a flumox, I have a burning desire to base them in three ranks to give effect of a mass of troops. One of the lads at T Shop has suggested just doing two line of troops and making life easier but I want three, four I think would be too much. I also want a nice desert/arid type effect mainly because of stubbornness rather than going arable which may be more sensible.
So after he ramble onto the point, how the heck do you texture and paint between the ranks. Coming to the conclusion that you just paint the middle ranks and base around them but it looks a bit odd.
Anyone point me in the direction of some good tutorials as first attempt as just been ripped off the base.
Only thing I can think of is doing the front rank and painting it then doing a PVA and sand mix to do behind them and painting it then drop in next rank etc but think this leaves the front of the rear ranks to be considered.
PS I dont want to admit the 2 rank option guy was correct.
Post by menacussecundus on Jul 18, 2019 10:34:55 GMT
I don't claim any especial expertise, Baldie, but I have just based a lot of Baccus Hittite spearmen three ranks deep on 40x20mm bases. I based them only one strip wide though; I suspect you will want to go a lot wider.
I fixed the front strip first and built up with Polyfilla/Tetrion to the front edge of the base and took this filler down the side to the back corners of the strip then took it out in a V shape like the wake of a boat towards the corners of the base. Added PVA and sand, including between figures and the rear edge of the strip. Painted this, added second strip and repeated process. Added third strip and finished off. Not something to be rushed.
I'm pleased with how it turned out, but, as I say, I was only basing three 4 figure strips one behind the other, which meant it was relatively easy to reach in between the strips going in from the sides.